Bodhi allows resubmitting an update with different packages?!

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 07:30:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:31:32 -0800, Jeff wrote:

> I'll repeat. If a testing package is missing in bodhi...it means its
> obsoleted by a newer one.
> Bodhi has a search interface which will let you find the newer ones.
> The bugzilla tickets have the reference to the newer ones.

It's bad to delete obsolete bodhi tickets. Feedback from testers
is lost. Anything that has been published in a repo should still be
findable in bodhi.

The new test update may suffer from the same problems as the
obsolete one, but maybe nobody reports that prior to the new update
getting marked stable. A [different] tester might want to review
feedback left in the obsolete ticket and try to reproduce with the
new update.

> Keeping the obsoleted packages in the bodhi interface would only
> encourage you to add comments that are no longer relevant..

Obsolete bodhi tickets could be locked, so that it is no longer possible
to comment on them. The last comment would be bodhi's, mentioning the
newer update request.

> ..no longer useful to the maintainer.

Short-sighted view. Bodhi is not only for the maintainer(s). You want
more testers? Then make bodhi more convenient for them.