PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Apr 10 14:59:30 UTC 2010

Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Then polkit-kde would win and it has even more deps. ;)

And it wouldn't even work outside of KDE as it has OnlyShowIn=KDE;.

All this is why I suggested on #fedora-kde that we should ban all usage of
PolicyKit-authentication-agent entirely (possibly even just remove the
virtual Provides in F14) and have it be the desktop's responsibility to
explicitly Require the auth agent it wants. But Christoph's objection to
that plan was that it forces even things like simple WMs to require a polkit
auth agent, which their users will not necessarily want. He'd much rather
the programs which use polkit carry a dependency rather than just assuming
it'll magically be there.

I think that given the practical restrictions, having lxpolkit be the
default for non-GNOME, non-KDE desktops as Christoph is suggesting is a
quite reasonable default. If it's not GNOME nor KDE, it's some kind of
lightweight solution, so a lightweight auth agent should be the best fit.

        Kevin Kofler