Heads up! Erlang package becomes modularized in Fedora.

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 11:00:26 UTC 2010

Hi,

2010/4/11 Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov at gmail.com>:
> Hello!
>
> 2010/4/10 Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net>:
>
>> So you are proposing a metapackage. Fedora has historically frowned at
>> metapackages, we prefer to create comps groups to bundle multiple
>> packages together.
>
> Sorry, but this looks like purely non-technical argument for me (I
> mean using verbs like "prefer", "frown" and so on). I, for example,
> prefer meta-package, Fedora Haskellers prefer metapackage
> (haskell-platform) too. My scheme introduces zero maintenance efforts
> for those who are not interested in using modularized erlang package,
> while your one (with existing for a while compatible package) will
> definitely cause issues and complaints.

This is to maintain consistency with upstream. We also have a Haskell
Development group that you can install that is essentially the same
thing. Since haskell-platform is marketed as such, not to mention that
it is essentially a distribution package from upstream, it defies the
minimal expectations to not offer it. That said, could we do things
differently without confusing people new to Fedora, having a meta
package isn't a hard requirement either. Please don't confuse the
forest with the trees :).

-Yaakov