summer coding and you

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Apr 15 02:26:14 UTC 2010

I'm talking to you because I know some of you work at companies,
organizations, foundations, consortiums, and so forth.  And you may be
in the perfect position to sponsor a student for Fedora Summer Coding.

We're moving the schedule back an extra month to give a chance for
more sponsors.  The proposed schedule gives us until 21 May for
sponsors to pledge funds.  (Separate announcement about schedule
changes coming.)

We need word word about Fedora Summer Coding to get to the ears of
more people.  People who:

* Have the desire to help students (learn to) contribute to FOSS & the
  Fedora Project.

* Want to associate their name or brand with being a sponsor of these
  summer coding activities.

* (Optionally) care about the future of the Fedora Project; you may be
  funding work that happens primarily upstream, but it should somehow
  benefit Fedora.

* Can pledge money toward funding students by 21 May 2010.

* Are interested in getting in at the start of a new program
  associated with Fedora.  We are already planning how to do a Summer
  Coding 2010 for the Southern Hemisphere, and entire half of the
  planet not covered by GSoC.  This can be as big as we want to grow
  it.

Is this you?  Your company?

Spread the word.  People should contact me directly, unless they want
to be transparent and in public about it. ;-) <kwade at redhat.com>

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Summer_Coding_2010#You_are_a_sponsoring_organization

Some more writing on this:

http://iquaid.org/2010/04/13/sponsoring-summer-coding-get-and-give-value/