HEADS UP: xorg.conf.d changes

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Thu Apr 15 04:42:19 UTC 2010

There will be another set of changes to the xorg.conf.d system, in rawhide
and F-13. This may affect your input device configuration in X. My apologies
for the inconvenience, especially after the Beta.

Long story short, when the xorg.conf.d stuff went into rawhide we (well, I,
so blame me for that) picked /etc/xorg.conf.d. When server 1.8.0 was
released, Keith used /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d instead.

Now we have a number of patches queued up for 1.8.1 that split the location
of the snippets into datadir and sysconfdir. 1.8.1 will come out after F-13
though, so I need to move the patches in now to avoid disruption after
final.

The new layout is:
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d for distribution-provided xorg.conf snippets
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d for user-specified snippets*

The following packages are affected:
    xorg-x11-server
    system-setup-keyboard
    xorg-x11-drv-wacom
    xorg-x11-drv-synaptics
    xorg-x11-drv-fpit
    xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse

And of course any custom config files in /etc/xorg.conf.d that need to be
just moved to the new location. So your setup may break (again, but this
time it might just be the last time). I've backported the server already and
it works, the rest is still being worked on but it all should go in tonight
(Australia time).

Instead of flaming me, please go out and give a unit of your local currency
to a homeless person. That way the world might actually get a better place.

Cheers,
  Peter

* I'll make system-config-keyboard write into that as well, since it's
closer to a user-specific configuration.