summer coding and you

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Apr 19 15:38:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 09:17:09PM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I was just cursing the fact that libguestfs has several cracking
> summer projects, but the GSoC deadline has passed, and now I see that
> Fedora has this (which I'd never heard about before).  Good news then!

Grab us on #fedora-summer-coding if you need any help with putting
ideas up here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Summer_Coding_2010_ideas

> But ...  I can't see how much money would we need to raise to fund a
> student?

It's not entirely defined[1] but I've been targeting US$5000 per
student as ideal.  Our program covers 10 weeks, but perhaps the actual
project really only needs about 8 weeks?

That is a lot of money in some places, and not even competitive in
other places.  But it's similar to what Google used for years, and
seems to be what Ruby SoC is doing.  Being our own program, we can
make up our own rules, such as funding 1/2 projects.

- Karsten

[1] Aside from there being some sponsorships that are earmarked, I
also want to give the mentors room to slice the funding pool as they
see fit.  Not neccesarily by cost of living, but maybe some people and
projects are really only 1/2 projects.