Thoughts on using Lernid in Fedora meetings classroom sessions.

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 00:57:48 UTC 2010

I'm assuming everyone here has heard of Lernid, the little classroom
ui that Jono Bacon original put together.

I got lernid trunk up and running on Fedora 13. All the prerequisites
are in place.  it connects to the Ubuntu events.

My understanding is that lernid just needs a hardcoded url from which
to grab a set of event definitions.

Here is what lernid is currently using:
http://www.jonobacon.org/files/lernid/ubuntu.lernid

Event items are really simple at the moment. its using freenode as a
hardcoded irc server.  One channel for speaking one channel for
chatting.  Its the same model we use in our town hall meetings.

I'd like to see if Fedora contributors think lernid is a useful tool
and then to help extend it further as a general purpose remote
classroom tool.  The best way to know is to dig in and try to use it.

What I want to do is submit lernid into the Fedora repositories with a
new Fedora specific classroom/meeting event url hardcoded, until such
time that lernid gains the ability to register and handle multiple
event services via configuration data. I can imagine this being
something upstream projects could use to run general training once
lernid is general purpose enough.

The only real question I have is what should the Fedora event url be
and who should ultimately be responsible for filling it with events?
I've no problem shoving the event url into my fedora project disk
space for now and managing event requests. In fact that's probably
what I'm going to do for initial package review.  But it really feels
like something that we could tie into infrastructure and have be a
self servicing sort of thing for contributors to register events with.

-jef