spin kickstart/minimization cleanups

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 14:35:15 UTC 2010

On 04/21/2010 09:40 AM, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:08 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I've spent a little time looking at the hardware side of things and
>> done a basic patch for some of the hardware stuff based on the current
>> rawhide comps file. I've broken it down into network/server/misc for
>> the time being and pushed the print stuff over to its group. More can
>> be done as it was a quick look through. The old hardware-support
>> currently includes all the other groups so there's no real change for
>> current builds overall.
>
> This looks like a good start.  I think the way this kind of thing
> should work in general is that the system detects if you have the
> hardware, and dynamically installs support for it.  We'd need some
> database mapping things like USB ids to packages.

Just brainstorming here, but why not do something like:

Provides: modalias(usb:v03F0p0121d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*)

and make a python module that asks udev/devicekit for modaliases of
whatever hardware is installed.  anaconda could use that relatively
easily to search for packages, and a packagekit (or whatever) plugin
could do something similar for the hotplug cases after installation.

--
        Peter

Hardware simply does not work like the manual says and no amount
of Zen contemplation will ever make you at one with a 3c905B ethernet card.
		-- Alan