Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Thomas Janssen thomasj at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 23 08:46:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 9:24 AM, Martin Stransky <stransky at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 04/23/2010 09:18 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On 04/23/2010 09:03 AM, Martin Stransky wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we're patching mozilla packages only for really critical issues because
>>> of mozilla trademarks. We can't put any patch we want to the mozilla
>>> package and ship it as 'Firefox' or 'Thunderbird'.
>>
>> Thanks for providing evidence of how trademarks are being applied to
>> void the benefits of "open source".
>>
>> The obvious logical consequences of what you say would be
>> * either to remove the packages you are referring to from Fedora because
>> they are effectively unmaintainable.
>>
>> * or to remove the trademarks and re-brand the packages.
>>
>> /me ducks and hides for cover.
>
> No, you get it wrong. It's about cooperation, we work with upstream to
> release one valid product. See the upstream bug, the fix may be included
> in next security update.

...*may be included* in next security update.

Well, Ralf is right. That situation is just sick. To have a patch that
fixes a crashing application but it can't be applied, because of
Trademark/Branding problems. And even worse, that the app has to crash
for *everyone* to get it faster.

But i guess it's better i shut up, since i don't use Mozilla products.

--
LG Thomas

Dubium sapientiae initium