rawhide report: 20100423 changes

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org
Fri Apr 23 11:30:11 UTC 2010

On Friday 23 April 2010 13:07:46 Rawhide Report wrote:
> Compose started at Fri Apr 23 08:15:03 UTC 2010
>
> Broken deps for i386
[...]
>    skyviewer-1.0.0-3.fc12.i686 requires libQGLViewer.so.2

> Broken deps for x86_64
[...]
> skyviewer-1.0.0-3.fc12.x86_64 requires libQGLViewer.so.2()(64bit)

Hi, I am the maintainer of libQGLViewer in Fedora.

While trying to upgrade the Rawhide version to last upsteram release (from
2.3.1 to 2.3.5), I have discovered that the upstream developer does not ensure
any binary compatibility between any releases, and the upgrade to 2.3.5 did
break the compatibility!

libQGLViewer build system is qmake (the build system of Qt4), and it hardcodes
that the SONAME of the lirbraries is ${NAME}.so.${MAJVER}, where MAJVER is the
first component of the version number. I have done a quite ugly hack in the
%build and %install parts of the spec file, so that the new SONAME is
libQGLViewer.so.2.3.5 (with full version number).

QUESTION: Knowing that the upstream developer will probably never ensure
binary compatibility, was that the right thing to do?

Before building the new release, I did:
  repoquery --requires libQGLViewer.so.2
on my machine, to check if any other package was using it, but I forgot that
on x64 machines there is a suffix in provides/requires, and I had not seen any
dependent package.

QUESTIONS: What is the right way to get skyviewer in Rawhide rebuild against
the last release of libQGLViewer? How should I proceed in future to
synchronize rebuilds of libQGLViewer and packages using it?

I am sorry to ask so naive questions. Because of my daily job being more time-
consuming for one or two years, I have spend less time for Fedora packaging,
and it seems my packaging skills have been outdated while the years passed. I
may have other questions of such kind. May I ask them on this list?

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau