Please move your ABRT bugs upstream

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 17:40:12 UTC 2010

On 04/24/2010 10:47 PM, Thomas Spura wrote:
> That's true, but it sounded more like a 'solution' to the problem, and
> that's unfortunately not :(
> We should also find a solution for packages, where the maintainers
> didn't consider it as a option… Unfortunately this will be the case for
> the most of the packages out there.

It is redundant to mail offlist and then onlist about the same thing but
let me repeat:   We don't know what solutions will or will not work
until we ask.  It is always important to not merely assume but actually
try talking to upstream and see if they might be interested.  You might
be in for a pleasant surprise.  A lot of upstream developers are quite
cooperative if it helps improve their software and if you have
established a ongoing relationship with them.   It might not work for
all cases and it is not expected either but when it it works, it helps
share the maintenance burden.  Simple proclaiming that it won't work for
the majority is guess work.

Rahul