Please move your ABRT bugs upstream

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Apr 25 07:23:41 UTC 2010

Christoph Wickert wrote:
> We have this nice ABRT tool now, so please let the bug reports our users
> collect not be useless and forward them upstream cause that's where they
> belong. We are not collecting these reports to let them rotten in our
> bugzilla and get them closed by the bugzappers. This is frustrating both
> for the users as well as for the developers.
>
> Please, dear maintainers, take care of your ABRT reports and forward
> them if you cannot handle them yourselves!

How is this our job?

The ABRT tool should file those bugs upstream in the first place. The fact
that they land in our distro bug tracker makes it a completely worthless and
broken tool.

It is just plain impossible for me to upstream the dozens of Gnash crashbugs
I get from ABRT. The best I can do is to use our Bugzilla's mass change
feature to needinfo a bunch at once and to close a bunch at once as
INSUFFICIENT_DATA if the reporter is too frigging lazy to upstream his
report (which is unfortunately the norm for ABRT-filed reports).

Speaking of lazy reporters, ABRT should probably also have a mandatory
[] I agree that developers, packagers and/or triagers may contact me to
request further information and I will provide any such information when
possible
checkbox and only file bugs if the reporter checked that checkbox. Current
versions of KDE's DrKonqi have something like that.

        Kevin Kofler