Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Apr 25 15:51:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 17:35:13 +0200,
  drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:

> By shipping software using names known to users coming from other OSes?

While in general it would be confusing if everything was renamed, I think
the default web browser name is less of an issue since it is installed
by default. People don't need to know the name to get it installed or
run it. Besides iceweasel is also familiar to people.

> Btw. the fedora trademark guidelines aren't less restrictive either.

The Fedora trademark doesn't cause problems within Fedora. We also even
have things in place to make rebranding easier for downstream.
The issue is that the Mozilla trademark rules are preventing us from
packaging software using those trademarks in accordance with our rules.
I think it would be better for the trademarks to go, rather than granting
exceptions to the rules.

We could even try coordinating names with Debian to reduce confusion.