Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Quentin Armitage Quentin at Armitage.org.uk
Mon Apr 26 08:05:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 12:45 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 13:37:11 -0400,
>   Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 10:08 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >
> > > I don't see how using Mozilla trademarks provides significant benefit
> > > to Fedora. It seems to mostly benefit Mozilla. I don't see why we should
> > > be breaking our rules to help them.
> >

> > I think you are grossly misjudging the relative visibility and
> > importance of the Firefox and Fedora brands... nobody knows what Fedora
> > is, while most computer users will have at least heard about Firefox.
>
> Yeah, but "most computer users" isn't relevant. The question is about what
> is relevant to Fedora users. Changing the name of Firefox will have little
> affect on them since it is installed as the default web browser. Being able
> to fix bugs in a timely manner on the other hand, is going to have a
> significant affect on them.
Not a nice idea, but, at least as a temporary workaround, could Fedora
ship both a Firefox and an Iceweasel; Firefox complying with the
trademark rules, and Iceweasel working as users would want it.

Could the Fedora shipped Firefox even have a home page that says "Have
you tried Iceweasel ..."? And bugs reported against Firefox could be
closed with "Fixed in Iceweasel".