Please move your ABRT bugs upstream

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Apr 26 08:34:52 UTC 2010

On Sunday 25 April 2010 10:33:13 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > I'm upstreaming reports from 'lazy idiots' too and some of them get
> > fixed. In fact the percentage of the ones that get fixed is not
> > different from the 'active' reporters cause usually the backtrace
> > contains all necessary data for the developer to fix the problem.
>
> ABRT should file the bugs upstream in the first place, an automated tool
> should do the right thing in the first place. Of course that means having
> to deal with several different bug trackers, not just Bugzilla. But it's
> part of doing it right.

This is not a (big) problem in ABRT - it's modular system. And I think best is
to fill it to both - upstream and downstream bug (crash) tracker. Why? It's
good to know that something is crashing for users. In times of Dr. Konqui we
haven't had any idea how stable KDE is. Now we can see that we have lot of
problems with some crashes - like KPixmap one - we can force upstream to fix it
as it's really serious problem etc... So please - no to upstream - or we
should join upstream here - and we should be CC'ed to Dr. Konqui's crashes.

Another problem is - upstream has the same problem as we have - Dr. Konqui
significantly lowered the barrier to report bugs => more bugs reported with
lower quality. Dr. Konqui forces reporter to submit better reports but it's
not easy again to balance it - not to build another artificial barrier.

Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Řezník <jreznik at redhat.com>

Office: +420 532 294 275