Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Apr 26 13:35:04 UTC 2010

On 04/26/2010 10:52 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 04/26/2010 02:11 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> Well, may-be FESCO should decide upon on whether the FSF's
>> "freedom 3" [1] is a inclusion/exclusion criterion for packages in Fedora.
>>
>> Ralf
>>
>> [1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
>>

> It is (except for firmware)

... and on Fedora's own trademark encumbered packages.

> but before you wave it around,  you will do
> well to ask FSF whether the Mozilla trademark guidelines violate it.
I know - I had a discussion with a FSF-representative on this.

But ... many people disagree with this.

As well as the facts speak for themselves:

* The Fedora Mozilla packages can't be bug-fixed/patched.
Cause: The package is non-free.

* The Fedora Mozilla package can't be made compliant to the FPG.
Cause the packages are non-free.

Openly speaking, I feel RH is not interested addressing this issues,
likely for political reasons or for marketing reason - A too high price
to pay, if you ask me.

>  My
> understanding is that, they don't consider it a violation and yes, I
> have actually asked them.

Well, Mozilla license definitely is an open-source license.
It's just that the Mozilla packages in Fedora are non-free.