Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Apr 26 13:56:20 UTC 2010

On 04/26/2010 09:35 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> * The Fedora Mozilla packages can't be bug-fixed/patched.
> Cause: The package is non-free.
>
> * The Fedora Mozilla package can't be made compliant to the FPG.
> Cause the packages are non-free.

Neither of these are true.

The Fedora Mozilla packages can be bug-fixed/patched. If Mozilla doesn't
accept the patches upstream first, we would no longer have permission to
use their trademarks, and would need to remove them when we did so.

As to why we have not simply patched at will, and discarded the
trademarks, well, I think that is ultimately up to FESCo and the
Maintainer(s) to decide how we wish to operate in that manner.

Personally, I feel that there is name-recognition value in the Mozilla
trademarks, and we should make every effort to try to discuss a
compromise with them to allow us a bit more flexibility while retaining
the trademark use. Perhaps this is a discussion that could be opened
with Luis Villa?

~spot