Postgresql namespace

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 14:40:01 UTC 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 02:17:57PM +0300, Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> FWIW, since Fedora/RHEL (up to 5.5) does support only 1 PostgreSQL
> version w/ RPMs, this 3rd party repository  helps people to use recent
> PG versions with their distros. (Majority of our users are RHEL 5 users,
> who use PostgreSQL 8.3 and 8.4 on RHEL 5). I'm sure that's one of the
> reasons that RHEL 5.5 shipped PostgreSQL 8.4 along with 8.1.

Can addons to postgres (and
I realize we have many different types of addons... perhaps we need to know
if there's a a majority of one or the other or an intuitive way to break the
addons into categories) be used with both postgresql-8.1 and postgresql-8.4
from a single package or do they need multiple packages?  Since we do have
multiple versions of postgresql now (in RHEL5.5) it makes sense to me to
keep the postgresql prefix to separate the two versions from each other.

Having users search for "orafce" if it's targeting postgresql-8.1
and postgresql84-orafce if it's targeting postgresql-8.4 in bugzilla, yum
install, etc, isn't a great experience.

-Toshio