Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 26 22:30:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 16:48 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> As a propopent of "Free SW", my interest is to fight those who are
> applying trademarks to undermine the principles of "free SW".

This is not what Mozilla is doing. They are applying trademarks to
protect the names Mozilla, Firefox and Thunderbird. Consider what could
happen if they didn't; any Tom, Dick or Harry could 'patch' their
advert, badly-conceived 'feature' or, hell, piece of malware into
Firefox and call it Firefox, and Mozilla couldn't say boo to them for
it. Yes, this is true of many pieces of software that Fedora also ships,
but there's no real motive to do it to most of those; they don't have
Mozilla's profile.

If Mozilla's intent was in fact to undermine the principles of free SW,
they would make it as hard as possible to debrand Firefox; they do
rather the opposite.

(I've had the distinct displeasure of working with a bit of software
which actually did seem to go out of its way to make it as difficult as
possible to comply with the license gotchas - Truecrypt - and it's a
very different experience from working with Mozilla).
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey