Shell commands like to OS/2 shell (or MS PowerShell)

Steven James Drinnan steven at scc.hk
Tue Apr 27 01:19:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 09:33 +1000, Chris Jones wrote:
> >>On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         On 19/04/10 23:51, Slava Zanko wrote:
>         >
>         > Hi folk,
>         >
>         > I want to propose new idea about names of command line
>         utilites...
>         >
>         > For example, all present utilites have sence just for guru's
>         (ls, rm,
>         > fsck etc), but for novies it's hard to use.
>
>         Bookmark this:
>         http://ss64.com/bash/
>
>         Less typing, less for novices to forget.
>
>         --
>         Regards,
>
>         Frank Murphy
>         UTF_8 Encoded, Fedora.x86 64-32 Hybrid

> I'm against any change. It makes perfect sense the way it is now. And
> it's great for those who use both Linux and Unix because most commands
> are interoperable between the two platforms. And beyond that, it's
> fast as a result of keeping commands short and easy to remember.
>
> I haven't met a newbie yet that is even interested in learning how to
> interact with the command-line. They all seem to be some new breed
> migrating from Windows and expecting *nix to operate in a 1:1 manner.
> And for those who do want to learn it, do exactly that--learn it. It
> just takes time. Be patient.

+1

> I think there's more important things to focus on regarding Linux
> development.
>

> --
> Chris Jones
> Photographic Imaging Professional and Graphic Designer
> ABN: 98 317 740 240

Basically MS introduced PowerShell to compete with bash and try to give
Windows some flexibility like Linux (The syntax is now almost the same).
Remember this is for power-users, and newbies do not want the hassle of
using the commandline.

Bash is a powerful tool and there maybe some flaws in the way that it
can be used but is it worth a rewrite?