Please move your ABRT bugs upstream

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 27 13:08:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 19:54 -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 10:11 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 12:10 AM, Christoph Wickert
> > <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm upstreaming reports from 'lazy idiots' too and some of them get
> > > fixed. In fact the percentage of the ones that get fixed is not
> > > different from the 'active' reporters cause usually the backtrace
> > > contains all necessary data for the developer to fix the problem.
> >
> > Hmm all your reports have all the necessary debugging information
> > because the user happened to have all the debuginfo's installed at the
> > time of the crash?
>
> It wouldn't surprise me, since ABRT will automatically download the
> debuginfo and regenerate the backtrace from the core dump.

Right. There've been times where it hasn't done this properly and that's
when you used to get empty reports from abrt, but that's much less
likely to happy with current code; it's better at making sure the
debuginfos get installed, and also complains a lot more before letting
you file a report with an incomplete backtrace than it used to.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey