Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 27 23:06:55 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 23:38 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > You can't modify Fedora under F/OSS principles and still call it Fedora,
> > just like you can't modify Firefox under F/OSS principles and still call
> > it Firefox. Both of us do this to protect the good name of the project.
> > We'd be in an extremely glass house-y situation if we tried to 'call
> > out' Mozilla over this. It'd be ridiculous.
>
> That has not been an issue for Debian.
>
> It perfectly makes sense that you'd want to protect your own name, but still
> not use somebody else's similarly protected name because it prevents you
> from shipping what you want to ship.

I wasn't suggesting it'd prevent us from shipping an unbranded Firefox /
Thunderbird if we wanted to. I was just saying that it would stop us
from pitching some kind of public hissy fit about how unreasonable
Mozilla was being, as Ralf seemed to be advocating.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey