Thunderbird bz 579023 still not fixed even though there is an upstream fix available

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 06:39:37 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 1:43 AM, Mail Lists <lists at sapience.com> wrote:
> On 04/27/2010 05:58 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>

>  The OP had an issue w. thunderbird - which many find to be a pretty
> decent mail client.
>
>  This thread has morphed ...
>
>  As for Firefox, I'd actually prefer to put fedora effort behind
> chromium - google-chrome is an order of magnitude better than firefox -
> if chromium can be made comparable we don't need to fuss about firefox -
> lets fuss about chromium/google-chrome instead :-)

One more point which may not be directly on thread but which IS
important - many people use their browser for online banking and a
good number of banks will not allow login from any browser not on
their "approved" list.  At present if you are running Firefox then
most banks will allow login - if you switch to another less well
recognised browser then users may find their bank will then not permit
online access (possibly even if you switch user agent string!).   For
example in general chrome is working pretty well (yes it is not FOSS)
- but my bank will not permit login using chrome in linux (though it
will from Windows! This is because it won't allow a beta as it is not
released code!). A "released" chromium may get allowed for such use
but this is uncertain at present.

I think you need to be careful with such issues - and also ensure that
security is looked after vigorously for similar reasons. Switching
away from Firefox to Iceweasel or Coldcoyote or whatever may not play
nice with important sites such as banks!

--
mike c