Graphics drivers requiring kernel modesetting

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Thu Apr 29 02:15:28 UTC 2010

As far as I understand, both Nouveau and the Intel graphics driver now require
kernel modesetting, starting with Fedora 13. Before I edit
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems a second time I
wanted to ask: Does the Radeon driver still support userspace modesetting, or
are there in fact no drivers in Fedora 13 that work both with and without
kernel modesetting? I'd like to finally get that page fully up-to-date.

Another question: What is the correct behaviour when the kernel parameter
"nomodeset" is used and the driver doesn't support this? X failing to start at
all, as happens with my Intel G35, or using the Vesa driver, as happens with
my GeForce Go 7900 GS? The latter seems more useful to me.

Björn Persson