Graphics drivers requiring kernel modesetting

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Thu Apr 29 11:56:02 UTC 2010

On 04/29/2010 05:24 AM, Dave Airlie wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 04:15 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
>> As far as I understand, both Nouveau and the Intel graphics driver now require
>> kernel modesetting, starting with Fedora 13. Before I edit
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_Xorg_problems a second time I
>> wanted to ask: Does the Radeon driver still support userspace modesetting, or
>> are there in fact no drivers in Fedora 13 that work both with and without
>> kernel modesetting? I'd like to finally get that page fully up-to-date.
>
> radeon still supports both modes of operation, though bugs reported
> against non-kms code will most likely end up in the bin in favour of
> fixing kms bugs.

Can you give a rough estimate/timeframe for when the performance
regressions for R7xx cards since F11 will be fixed? That is the only thing
that keeps me on F11 right now. When running the F13 LiveCD I cannot play a
360p Youtube video without it dropping frames due to high CPU usage but on
F11 things work fine an CPU usage is significantly lower.

Regards,
   Dennis