Is PulseAudio dead?

Carl G. carl.gaudreault at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 18:20:40 UTC 2010

Lennart Poettering wrote:

> On Mon, 02.08.10 17:01, Mike Prispan
(fr.prop at gmail.com) wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> maybe I'm wrong (I guess I
am), but is PulseAudio really dead? What lead
>> me to this conclusion?
Well look at this:
>> * Fedora has 201 NEW/ASSIGNED bugs right now [1]

* there was not fixed a single bug last six months (since 2010-02-23)

[2][3] * there are not only "not pulseaudio, but alsa is broken" bugs,

for example abrt reported crashes

>> No development, no bug fixing,
hard to say if there are any comments from
>> bug assignee(s) at all. I've
checked only a few bug and did not find any,
>> only from bug reporters
pinging or asking if more info is required, but I
>> did not check it
using bugzilla query (don't know if it's possible at
>> all).
>>
>> So,
again, is PulseAudio dead? Seems to me

> No, it's not. I am just
pushing systemd through right now, and did other
> stuff.
>
> Also, check
upstream git to figure out whether a project is dead. The
> last commit
there is from 2 weeks ago. Git can tell you something about
> whether
development happens. Bugzilla just tells you whether I have
> devoted my
life to processing bug reports. And well, I haven't done
> that. Sorry
that I don't exclsuively spend my time on making my stats on
> bugzilla
look pretty. If I did, then I would not get any real work done

anymore.

> Most of the abrt stuff can probably be merged as duplicates.
I'd welcome
> if somebody wants to go through this and do this.
>
> BTW,
would be cool to direct flamewar-inducing mails like this to me

directly, first. Unless of course you think flamewars are a good thing,

not a bad thing.

> Lennart

Well, i'm happy to be a bug triager so
you can get "real work" done. /s