Is PulseAudio dead?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 19:10:28 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> Erm, what complaint? That it's dead? I've never heard that one before.
> Mostly, people seem to complain when it gets changed, not when it
> doesn't.

The gods of irony are pleased indeed.

However, this maybe a case where it would be good to try to better
define the roles of Fedora packager versus upstream developer.  If
there are patches that could be cherry-picked out of upstream git that
close some issues, that would be a worthwhile thing for a package
comaintainer to do without getting in the way of upstream project
development focus.  We like that fact that upstream developers are
also package maintainers, but we need to recognize the fact that there
really is a difference in focus and that there could be additional
work needed to be both.  It would probably be useful in this case for
someone to approach Lennert about collaborating as a package
comaintainer and take the responsibility of choosing which git patches
to pick and spin up testing updates accordingly.

-jef"There is a difference between a dead upstream project and a dead
package. I myself  cultivate Fedora packages for projects with
essentially dead upstreams, and the users of those
packages..cough..revelation..cough..continue to stick heads in the
ground blithely unaware that they continue to rely on a dead
codebase..at their own peril"spaleta