Is PulseAudio dead?

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Mon Aug 2 23:00:17 UTC 2010

----- "Lennart Poettering" <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:

> Well, my reading of the situation is different. Neither will I be
> away
> for too long, nor is the amount of bugs actually that bad. If you
> look
> closely a non-trivial number have needinfo set, waiting for the
> posters
> to report back. Substantial amount are duplicate abrt backtraces.
> There
> are some feature requests. A number of bugs cover stuff like HDMI
> and auxiliary PA modules which are optional features, which are not
> entirely supported on the low-levels or upstream, and hence I don't
> think need to be fixed with high-priority. Finally a substantial
> chunk
> is mixer initialization problems, which are kinda time-intensive to
> process, because you need the help of the user to run "alsamixer -c0"
> and figure out what's actually going on, you need to ask him to play
> around with "model=xxx" as param to the HDA module. And usually that
> involves quite a bit of forth and back. And furthermore almost always
> these actually are issues that need to be fixed in ALSA, not
> PA, though I never bothered to reassign them because one needs to
> verify
> this first. (i.e.  either in the HDA driver by adding new quirks or by
> updating
> the mixer init db). Also, these kind of "simple" driver bugs tend to
> fix
> themselves alone, because alsa is updated all the time, and the other
> distros work on this too. So a number of these could probably be
> closed
> right-away because a newer ALSA already contains the quirk.
>
> So, well, I don't think things are really that bad.

Reminds me of a quote in a book I know.

He is like the farmer who came up out of his cyclone cellar to find his home ruined. To his wife, he remarked, "Don't see anything the matter here, Ma. Ain't it grand the wind stopped blowin'?"

I'm just saying.

-- Bob

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |
|                   http://www.facebook.com/rpjensen                   |