Is PulseAudio dead?

Robert 'Bob' Jensen bob at fedoraunity.org
Tue Aug 3 00:10:56 UTC 2010

----- "Stephen John Smoogen" <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:

> No you aren't just saying. You are looking to provoke a fight. You
> don't like Pulse Audio, fine. You want to bring it up over and over,
> less fine. You want to then duck and dodge any criticism of your
> actions as "being told to not insult the mother ship" is just plain
> wrong. Please stop and see if you can find a better way to
> communicate. If all you can do is be sarcastic, take a break for a
> while.
>
> And yes I find Lennart to not have started this any better and I sent
> him an email just like this earlier.

It always amazes me how the Red Hat employees are those that speak up against criticism of something like this. I stand by my mothership comment no matter how inflammatory it may be. Can we let this go for now?

I actually like PA, it has worked for me in F12 and appears to be in F13 and I hope to make greater use of it in the future. The problem is with burying one's head in the sand saying the bugs are acceptable or not that big of a deal. It is a big deal because it was never dealt with in small bits as things came in.

Lennart is busy with the next great thing, I can accept that, we really have no other choice. Where is the failure? Perhaps it is as has been mentioned in the past, a bad idea for upstream to maintain/package their software projects. For this existing 'problem' a solution that may be ugly and hackish is to close all PA bugs older than say 2 months. Have a party to triage those remaining bugs and handle the incoming new relevant bugs as they come in. I don't think that this many bugs with more coming everyday should wait another 2-3 months for Lennart to have time to deal with them.

Seth said 'Maintaining and tending to bug reports is definitely "real work".' This brings me to question where are the others that are upstream? Why is all of this falling on the shoulders of one man?

-- Bob

|       Robert 'Bob' Jensen        ||       Fedora Unity Founder       |
|       bob at fedoraunity.org        ||      http://fedoraunity.org/     |
|                   http://bjensen.fedorapeople.org/                   |
|                http://blogs.fedoraunity.org/bobjensen                |
|                   http://www.facebook.com/rpjensen                   |