Is PulseAudio dead?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Aug 3 01:23:23 UTC 2010

pbrobinson at gmail.com wrote:
> While Lennart has moved onto bigger and better things, which isn't a
> bad thing, it seems that the maintainership of PA in Fedora hasn't
> moved on to other maintianers or at least if Lennart is interested in
> maintaining it he hasn't aquired someone to assist in co-maintenance.
> Nor does it seem the case with alot of other fedora desktop packages.
> If you want to look at other main line desktop packages that don't
> seem to have active maintainer ship look at the webkit thread from the
> last day or so. And there are others that come to mind that don't seem
> to be actively maintained.

s/desktop/GNOME/

KDE packages are tracking upstream closely and are regularly updated,
including upstream bugfixes. Plus, we backport or sometimes even develop
bugfixes of our own.

To me, this shows that a model where upstream versions are tracked by
updates is much more viable than attempting (and miserably failing) to
backport bug fixes only.

It also shows that KDE SIG actually has more and/or more efficient packaging
(as opposed to upstream development) manpower than the GNOME folks, unlike
what has been frequently claimed.

        Kevin Kofler