git branch help?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Aug 3 04:17:33 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 03:06 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
> > Here is where you should have done a fedpkg or git push
> [snip]
> > There is nothing to commit, since all the changes are already committed.
>
> The joys of DVCSes. People are NOT used to commit and push being different
> operations. Git is highly confusing to people who aren't git experts.

I suspect that was more of a "try everything before complaining that it
doesn't work" than a specific expectation that the command would solve
the problem.

> > Somebody has changed master since you last touched it, and you had
> > changes on your local master that are out of sync now.  First, you
> > should do:
> >
> > git config --add --global push.default tracking
> >
> > This will make git push only attempt to push to the branch you are
> > tracking.  Then you can git push your f13 changes.  git checkout master
> > to get back to master and do a git pull --rebase to pull in the latest
> > upstream changes and re-play your unpushed changes on top of it.  Then
> > git log to see what has happened, push if necessary.
>
> Huh? Can it get any more complicated? Git is a royal PITA to use!

Are you comparing git to Mercurial or to a centralized VCS?  I suspect
exactly the same steps would be needed with Mercurial, except it looks
like the default may be to push only the current branch of the working
directory.  Some of the complexity is intrinsic to distributed VCS and
has to be weighed against the significant benefits to people who build
custom packages, like me.

--
Matt