git branch help?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Aug 3 05:57:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 05:40 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Neal Becker wrote:
> > OK, got mercurial updated for devel, apparantly OK.  Now try to update
> > f13:
> [snip a bunch of git tribulations]
>
> It's quite telling that the git workflow is so arcane and exotic that even
> the maintainer of another DVCS cannot figure it out!

This conclusion is way overstated.  It looks to me that Neal was trying
to get something done quickly based on previous experience with Fedora
packaging tools and wasn't applying his full DVCS-fu, but he should
speak for himself.

> Git just has to do
> everything in its own bizarre, confusing and broken way. :-(

The only potentially confusing behavior was that git defaulted to
pushing all branches.  Given that, the push failed due to a concurrent
change to a different branch on the destination, and it was necessary to
switch to that branch in order to perform the merge (well, rebase, but
the difference isn't important here).  I see nothing arcane, exotic,
bizarre, or broken about that.  And I don't think I would change the
default push behavior: I can envision forgetting to push a change to a
non-current branch until someone complains about it.

--
Matt