git branch help?

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Tue Aug 3 07:19:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 09:03:47AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Peter Hutterer wrote:
> > this is imo superior to re-editing spec files, possibly forgetting to
> > update sources/cvsignore in other branches (which has happened in the
> > past). I know what the original commit did, so cherry-picking it to other
> > branches will do the same.
>
> With the CVS workflow, I usually just copied the specfile, sources and
> .cvsignore from devel, no re-editing.

consider the use-case where the spec files aren't 100% identical because
they have different changelog history, or build instructions, or any other
reason a part of the spec file may be differnt to the ones being changed
right now. by copying it over, you destroy that information.

a hunk may still apply in this case though, reducing the amount of manual
editing.

Cheers,
  Peter