git branch help?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Tue Aug 3 07:23:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 09:02 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > You might like this article:
> >
> > http://valerieaurora.org/review/hash.html
>
> That article makes my point pretty well.
>
> > I'm willing to accept the miniscule probability of a collision.  If you
> > aren't, I have some other windmills for you to tilt at.
>
> I am not willing to silently accept anything with a nonzero probability of
> failure on perfect hardware. Any such algorithm is just incorrect.

If you want to talk about correctness of algorithms, there is a notion
of "negligible" (less than inverse polynomial) probability of failure
that can be used.  In the real world, you are not doing yourself any
measurable good by professing to go after this risk which is orders of
magnitude smaller than all the others you face every day.

--
Matt