git branch help?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Aug 3 20:38:41 UTC 2010

2010/8/3 Björn Persson <bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se>:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
>> Would it be nice to stick this customization into fedora-packager, or
>> would it just confuse/surprise people?
>
> Is it fast enough to not delay the prompt noticeably even on old computers?

No. At least, not the first time that you cd into a reasonably large
git tree after a boot (i.e., data isn't cached in memory yet). I've
got a core 2 duo laptop w/this enabled, and the first time going into
a kernel git tree, its a good bit of disk churn and a very noticeable
wait before I get a prompt back. After that first hit though, its
reasonably fast to return.

> What's the worst thing that could happen if it were to break? If Git were to
> enter an infinite loop for example, would it render my shell useless?

No clue. But I'd have to say no, don't just go enable it by default on
people's systems.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com