dist-git tag question

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Aug 4 04:40:21 UTC 2010

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> I'm not having any problems submitting builds and adding tags by hand
> *which is exactly what we did in cvs*. What exactly is ESSENTIAL about
> the nvr tags being automated for you?

The fact that most builds will end up with no named tags at all because
dist-git doesn't enforce manual tagging nor is it in the packager SOP.
Having successfully built versions be tagged in the SCM so that the sources
corresponding to a given NVR can be easily checked out at any time was
posted as one of the essential requirements on the SCM setup. The current
implementation does not comply to that essential requirement. Thus, this is
a showstopper which should have blocked putting dist-git into production.

Plus, automatic tagging was promised as THE reason we switch to dist-git in
the first place.

        Kevin Kofler