Creating private branches under fedpkg/git

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Wed Aug 4 22:24:01 UTC 2010

I believe the manifest ACL behavior is that you are permitted to push to a
branch called fN/anything if you are on the pkgdb ACL for fN, and to
anything not matching fN/* if you are on the pkgdb ACL for devel/rawhide.
So the practical answer is probably that whatever the maintainers for a
particular package don't object to is going to be fine.

I think it would be a good idea for Fedora to settle on some standard
branch name conventions for private branches.  The details of how strict
one needs to adhere to any detailed conventions for a particular package's
repo can of course be up to the consensus that package's maintainers.  (So,
for the kernel, talk to the kernel list and we'll tell you to do anything
you want that's not too ugly.)

I've suggested a convention of user/<username>/whatever-you-want, being at
top level for rawhide forks and fN/user/... for release branch forks.
But choosing any such conventions Fedora-wide is probably a FESCo activity.

Thanks,
Roland