EsounD (was: Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] orphaned packages in F-14)

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Aug 5 15:38:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, 05.08.10 12:58, Michael Schwendt (mschwendt at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:46:42 +0000 (UTC), Petr wrote:
>
> > I agree NAS is very old audio system, but it has history. It works (or
> > should work) across operating systems (do not think only about Linux).
> > In addition it supports bidirectional sound transmission (from
> > microphone).
> >
> > PulseAudio is interresting project, but it's absolutely unusable on old
> > slow hardware. Last time I checked it out on Pentium TSC (no MMX)
> > running at 200 MHz, it consumed 20 % of CPU just in idle mode. While
> > `playing', it congested CPU, printed some warnings about stream buffer
> > overflow and terminated gracefully complaining about no CPU cycles. NAS
> > or Esound work on the machine fluently.
> >
> > Thus I took NAS maintainance over and I'm going to resurrect it.
>
> Does anybody think the same about EsounD?
> We still include it in Fedora. We still build lots of audio packages
> for it. But is it still being used by anyone?

Well, we actually wanted to orphan it a couple of releases ago. However
I took up nominal maintainership of the package, simply because some
closed source stuff still speaks the esd proto and I need something to
test the PA proto implementation against. So I basically consider esd
package a test case for myself, and that's the sole reason I maintain
it.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.