root-doc subpackage slightly obese

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 18:24:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 01:23:24PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 19:56 +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > So I'm syncing up our school's local mirror over our rather slow
> > internet connection and I notice that the root-doc subpackage (which is
> > part of the root package) has just hit the slightly obese size of 687MB
> > [1].  For reference, the root source rpm is 27MB [2].
> >
> > Now, I don't know if we have a policy for autogenerated documentation,
> > but this seems a bit over the top to me, especially since the 20153
> > files in this package seem to have increased the size of
> > filelists.xml.gz by 200KB (this is a guess based on the fact that that's
> > how much filelists.xml.gz has increased in the last push).
> >
> > So now I've added root-docs to my manual rsync excludes (which only had
> > kdelibs-apidocs in it before now).
> >
> > Can we have a guideline added to the packaging guidelines that basically
> > says, "Make sure autogenerated documentation isn't ridiculously large".
> >

> grumble.
>
> Thank you for noting this.
>
> Jonathan, - dish this to fesco and/or the Packaging Committee - it's a
> good point.

I don't think we could just say don't package documentation that's
ridiculously large but perhaps we could make some sort of guideline about
not duplicating formats on extra large docs.  Is the case with root-docs
(and/or kdelibs-apidocs) that we have docs in text + html + tex + pdf
+ your_format_here?

-Toshio