WebKit(s) SIG

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 15:15:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-08-06 at 16:45 +0200, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> Hi all (and if not all, feel free to add them to CC).
> I'd like to establish
> WebKit SIG (or some sort of group of people interested in WebKit in Fedora -
> no need for any official one) as it's quite an overhead to maintain such a big
> beast here. We have QtWebKit, WebKitGtk, Chromium, KHTML... All very similar
> but based on different toolkit, concept etc. and it's mess currently (with
> responsibilities etc).

I'm not sure about KHTML. Yes, WebKit is originally a fork of KHTML, but
AFAIK the current code bases differ too much...

> What's the reason?
> - all WebKit-like implementations
> are very similar with only a little differences (toolkit...)
Not sure how "little" the differences are, but yeah, there's a big
common ground for all the ports and it would be ideal if we could
separate it out.

> - there are quite
> a lot of CVEs - it's time consuming to go over all CVEs (thanks for great job
> goes to Vincent Danen and other brave men from security response team) and
> most of patches could be shared
It would much help if we knew which CVEs were already fixed by upstream
and in which SVN snapshot and what SVN snapshot the ports are building
on. It gets a bit tougher with stable branches which usually have
backport fixes and such...

> - a lot of bugs affects all implementations -
> again patches sharing
Same as above.

> - sometimes the primary maintainer of one of WebKits is
> out of time - that means other team member could help
> - and probably many
> other reason like we are on the same WebKit ship (and if it's going to
> sink...)

+1

> If you're interested in - please reply,
> I'd like to start Wiki page and we can talked about more details
> etc.

Yeah a wiki page would be helpful. Plus as I already outlined in another
mail, this effort would be futile without full support from upstream --
I don't think there are *any* releases of WebKit core components at all
so the ports differ a lot on which SVN snapshot they build upon, and to
establish this common ground, cooperation from upstream is needed. For
starters we should probably identify what our current position is --
i.e. what are the webkit ports used in fedora, which SVN snapshot they
use, what are the core components of webkit, the differences in build
systems, ... And outlining the idea of splitting/merging.

Anyway, I would be interested in helping, although I doubt I could help
much, given my low to none knowledge of webkit internals and little
time, but as a full time user of webkitgtk based apps, I'm highly
interested in having them work in reasonable way.

Regards,
Martin