orphaning some packages, mostly java

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 06:27:52 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I am orphaning 12 packages due to lack of interest on F-14 and rawhide.

1- The frinika stack. These are all Java packages, self contained:
Frinika bundles all of these external libraries. On every release,
these have to be patched out, and this is a lot of work. Moreover we
(me, upstream, users) couldn't get the jack support running properly
on Fedora. And audio production software without jack is like a
spaceship with no bathroom. These packages did not get any bug
reports, except the last one, which got 1 report, and that is fixed
and closed.

frinika - Music Workstation
SevenZip - Java SDK for LZMA (version 4.65)
jjack - JACK audio driver for the Java Sound API
jmod - Java Sound MODules Library
jorbis - Pure Java Ogg Vorbis Decoder
jVorbisEnc - Pure Java Ogg Vorbis Encoder
RasmusDSP - Embeddable Audio/MIDI processor
tootaudioservers - Toot Audio Server
toot2 - Java models and frameworks for Audio/MIDI
tritonus - Java Sound API Implementation

2- Two other packages

canorus - Music Score Editor: This is an unfinished Google Summer of
Code project. Things started to evolve fast and nice, but the
development stopped suddenly. It is still at alpha stage and it got
some ABRT crash reports, which were reported upstream at some point.

gnome-guitar - A small suite of applications for the guitarist: This
is a mono package. The Gnome and Mono combination was too bitter for
my taste.

3- I also dropped my co-maintainership on 2 packages:

checkgmail - System Tray Application that checks a Gmail Account for New Mail
lxsplit - File split / merge utility

While these packages still have a primary maintainer (Rahul), I am
sure he won't mind new co-maintainers.

Please ask for maintainership at bodhi if you are interested in any of
these packages, before I mark them dead.package and retire them (in 72
hours).

Thanks,
Orcan