abrt thoughts pre-rfe q?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 12:46:33 UTC 2010

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 11:51:07 +0100, Frank wrote:

> Thougth I ask for some feedback.
>
> Currently when abrt finds an existing bug,
> it goes
> " similar bug found, (shows a link) adding you to cc"
>
> looking at some of the bugs, that I have reported or cc'd on.
> Where someone earlier in the thread had sent a workaround/fix etc..
> and cc's just being added automatically.
>
> Would it be any benefit to the maintainers\bugzappers.
> If abrt opened the existing link, before it would report?
> So there wouldn't need be be so many replies of
> please try xyz?, to help cut down on noise.
>
> I could be talking out of my ear.
> Just a thought.

Not sure that will be fruitful. What makes you think the reporter would
not add another comment?

[The same can be observed in bodhi, where subsequently added comments (and
votes) ignore everything that has been said before. Sometimes an update
submitter writes "Please don't vote +1 on this", but anonymous and
registered users add their votes and comments nevertheless. Notifications
or instructions from the packager get lost in all the noise.]

Somewhat related: I ABRT I'd prefer if I could edit the "How to reproduce?"
field _before_ waiting for ABRT to fetch debuginfo packages. Currently, I
enter the notes in normal text editor, because ABRT insists on downloading
packages first, and the through-put monitor tells me the access to the
repo isn't good.