abrt thoughts pre-rfe q?

Matt McCutchen matt at mattmccutchen.net
Sun Aug 8 02:25:50 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-08-07 at 11:51 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> Thougth I ask for some feedback.
>
> Currently when abrt finds an existing bug,
> it goes
> " similar bug found, (shows a link) adding you to cc"
>
> looking at some of the bugs, that I have reported or cc'd on.
> Where someone earlier in the thread had sent a workaround/fix etc..
> and cc's just being added automatically.
>
> Would it be any benefit to the maintainers\bugzappers.
> If abrt opened the existing link, before it would report?

And then what?  Encourage the user not to add a comment unless they have
new information?  If that is the proposal, I am in favor.

Adding the user to CC is still correct.  Other users are responsible for
disabling the "email me when someone else is added/removed to CC"
preference if they so desire.

> So there wouldn't need be be so many replies of
> please try xyz?, to help cut down on noise.

I don't understand this part.  The noise I've seen consists of
abrt-added "me-too" comments with steps to reproduce.  I have never seen
someone repost the same workaround in response to such a comment.

--
Matt