Some questions about on Fedora

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 17:58:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:27:20AM +0800, Chen Lei wrote:
> 2010/8/10 Remi Collet <Fedora at famillecollet.com>:
> > Le 09/08/2010 09:38, Chen Lei a écrit :
> >> It seems silvercity is packaged in many distributions, e.g. gentoo
> >> freebsd mandriva PLD.
> >
> > It fact, RPM I found only provide the python library.
> >
> > From the upstream README file :
> >
> >        Contributions are welcome for a build system for the standalone
> >        library on UNIX and for bindings to other languages.
> >
> >> Is the bundled silvercity heavily changed?
> >
> > I can't find which version is used (0.9.6 or 0.9.7).
> > And yes there is some changes, mainly "namespace"
> >
> > So, I think we could keep the bundled version of this very small library.
> >
> > Any FPC member comment ?
> >

> It seems reasable to bundle this silvercity, it seems silvercity can't
> be packaged as system-wide shlib.

It doesn't need to be a system-wide shlib -- it just needs to be packaged as
a systemwide library.  So then the question is whether bundling it is still
allowed (and whether it's bundling of scintilla is allowed).  Both of those
would need to go to fesco for an exception.

The number one question I would ask when the bundled library has been
modified is -- why haven't those changes been pushed upstream?  After that,
details can be looked at on a case by case basis.

-Toshio