[HEADS-UP] adding missing systemd links in rawhide/F14 upgrades

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Aug 12 18:26:43 UTC 2010

On Thu, 12.08.10 22:10, Chen Lei (supercyper1 at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi Lennart,

Heya,

> I found that systemd-units depends on pkgconfig, is this dependency
> really needed for minimum systemd?

Yes, this is intended this way. udev does the same these days. We
consider .pc files simply a nice way to make information about the
system and the packages that are installed avaiulable. While
historically this was mostly used for development stuff it also has its
uses outside of development, and I think it should be used more often
like this.

pkg-config has almost no dependencies and is a tiny C binary, hence I
see little value in optimizing this dependency away.

Quite frankly I'd like to see stuff like "lsb_release" and similar
programs be replaced by little .pc files across the board.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.