F14/F13 - system-config-display - should it work?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 12 18:32:21 UTC 2010

On 2010/08/12 10:46 (GMT-0700) Adam Williamson composed:

> It's more or less dead. ajax technically maintains it, but it's right at
> the bottom of his priority list and we've been wanting to drop it for
> ages. It's useful for almost nothing these days, especially now GNOME
> has a mechanism for applying display configuration from control-center's
> 'display' module systemwide. Actually, it might be worth discussing
> dropping it from F14 or F15 entirely. I've just today adjusted
> spin-kickstarts not to use it any more. Anyone aware of other cases
> where it's used? Aside from the non-RandR 1.2 drivers, which cover a
> small minority of users?

So users of absent or dysfunctional DDC and/or EDID should be committed to
800x600 or 1024x768 @96DPI until they replace their (quality, antique, still
working just fine) displays or learn the cryptic and complicated methodology
to using xrandr and script editors? Does the Gnome module work for those who
never Gnome's DTE?

The reason I started this thread is precisely because I have little tolerance
for being stuck in last century's 1024x768 at 96DPI lowfi on a display I've been
running 2048x1536 on for roughly a decade. Before xrandr, X could itself
perform (at least some of) the relevant the functions of cvt, gtf, xmode
and/or randr, from xorg.conf substituting a simple expression of desired
resolution for EDID/DDC to produce the user's preference, but can in many or
most cases no longer, instead requiring running in advance any or more of
several utilities, and putting their results in cryptic startup scripts
instead of a single config file. Progress on the absent DDC/EDID front has
been decidedly negative since randr (not that Redhat/Fedora is responsible
for Xorg development direction, or is it?).

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/