F14/F13 - system-config-display - should it work?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 12 19:00:43 UTC 2010

On 2010/08/12 14:38 (GMT-0400) Bill Nottingham composed:

> Felix Miata said:

>> So users of absent or dysfunctional DDC and/or EDID should be committed to
>> 800x600 or 1024x768 @96DPI until they replace their (quality, antique, still
>> working just fine) displays

> Just as a point, if the EDID/DDC is dysfunctional, then I don't think that
> really qualifies as 'quality' and 'working just fine'. Carry on...

EDID & DDC are mere conveniences unnecessary to the function of the device. I
really couldn't care less whether EDID/DDC exists, much less works. What
matters (works just fine) from a display, which may have been manufactured
before the invention of DDC or EDID, is its output qualities. Whatever it
takes to get there is of no import to a user, though configuring to get there
without heroics (e.g. via an interactive configurator like SCD) is definitely
a plus.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/