The slip down memory lane

Nathaniel McCallum nathaniel at natemccallum.com
Thu Aug 12 19:02:48 UTC 2010

On 08/12/2010 02:39 PM, drago01 wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Since 2006 I counted 18 slips (I think one or two of those may just be a
>> single slip listed twice).  Lets not yell, lets not flame war, lets not
>> point fingers.  How can we fix this?
>
> It isn't broken so there is nothing to fix; slipping to fix issues
> found is a feature not a bug.
> We don't have any reason to "rush".

I disagree, the feature is shipping on time.  Shipping on time enables
others in the Fedora community (people who build on, deploy, etc) know
with some assurance what their schedules will look like.  If I were a
project manager looking at using a Linux OS in my project, a
demonstrated lack of ability to ship on time is a *huge* mark against
using that OS.

If our schedules aren't reasonably fixed, than others have a hard time
working with us.  Loosing users (especially companies with resources to
invest in Fedora, even if just testing) make our quality go down.  Thus,
in the long run, continual slips actually contribute to lack of quality.

I think my point from my previous email is worth repeating: we need
wider testing of new features outside rawhide/N+1 before they are
merged.  This avoids upheaval and we can find bugs earlier.

Nathaniel