The slip down memory lane

Nathaniel McCallum nathaniel at natemccallum.com
Thu Aug 12 19:11:20 UTC 2010

On 08/12/2010 03:03 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 13:19:29 -0500,
>   Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Since 2006 we've slipped at least 16-18 weeks by my count. That's more
>> than half of a full release cycle.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> One thing I have noticed is people landing big changes (such as python and
> systemd) that break things for a while, delay a lot of other testing. So
> that when the bigger changes get fixed up, other bugs get unhidden with little
> time to react.
>
> I'd like to see the big changes land a lot earlier, maybe a month before
> the branch, so that by the branch most things should be easily testable.

+1

Perhaps our feature proposals need a better risk assessment. ie. "Will
this change create system-wide impact?  Will reverting it be difficult?"
 If the answer is yes to either of those questions, we should require
(either):
1. Testing in an external repo until a some stability is demonstrated.
2. Early merge with an early risk assessment / rollback.

Nathaniel