F14/F13 - system-config-display - should it work?

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 12 21:39:05 UTC 2010

On 2010/08/12 16:52 (GMT-0400) Adam Jackson composed:

> On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 15:00 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>> EDID & DDC are mere conveniences unnecessary to the function of the device. I
>> really couldn't care less whether EDID/DDC exists, much less works. What
>> matters (works just fine) from a display, which may have been manufactured
>> before the invention of DDC or EDID, is its output qualities.

> DDC1 was spec'd in 1994.  Version 3.0 of the DDC standard, which
> included the I²C-based DDC2 protocol that most drivers implement, was
> released in 1997; I'm reasonably sure it was also documented in Version
> 2 of that standard, which appears to have been 1995 or so according to
> light googling for press releases.
> I'm quite comfortable saying it's not a design
> goal to work on hardware that's now old enough to get a driver's
> license.

So I was off on my recollection of the timeline on one of the two specs.
AFAICT this has no bearing on implementation enduring for the life of a
product. Lucky you who never had DDC die on an otherwise perfectly
functioning unit, but in the real world it happens, and not so rarely. Same
for discovery that it never worked right until after the warranty expired.

Out of a significantly larger quantity formerly in my possession, I still
have 3 examples of a single best-seller model of major brand CRTs
manufactured during transition from Tualatin (PIII) to Willamette (P4). Of
the 3 still here, only one has had its DDC endure, and less than 50% of those
I had left here with DDC working.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/